Source: The Cultivator and Country Gentleman, January 14, 1869
[A partial description of a barn for storing corn on the George Geddes farm.]
[The corn barn] is sixteen feet wide and sixty feet long, and has capacity for more than four thousand bushels of ears. Fig 3 is a cross section of the building. A wagon may be driven in at one end through the whole length and out of it at the other. The corn is deposited on each side, the space being five feet wide at top and three at bottom. A strong upright timber is placed for this purpose at every ten feet, leaning toward the wagon way, as the figure indicates. Smaller timbers are placed between. The horizontal slats for holding the corn are successively tacked on the inside of these upright timbers, as the spaces are filled from the bottom upwards… When the spaces become nearly full, the corn is thrown upward with a scoop shovel over the top of the timbers.
For the purpose of excluding rats, the floor is made of tight two-inch plank, and the underpinning being three feet high, except at the doors, they cannot gain admittance. Iron grates, with spaces too small for them to enter, are placed in the underpinning to admit air and to prevent the decay of the timber.
After this house is filled with corn in autumn, both doors are thrown open, and the wind sweeps through freely, causing a rapid drying of the ears — during which movable gates are placed in the doorways to shut out intruders.