Source: How the Farm Pays, by William Crozier and Peter Henderson [Plans for a sheep barn for large flocks designed by George Geddes. His farm at Fairmount probably had a sheep barn like this, likely in the vicinity of Chapel Drive. A detailed description is in the link above.] … Read More A sheep barn, 1884
The Post-Standard last week wrote about the upcoming demolition of the remains of Hancock Air Base’s residential complex in Cicero. The Air Force chapel from the base was moved to Fairmount in 1949, where it now serves as Fairmount Community Church.
Source: The Country Gentleman, Jan. 28, 1904 The Famous “Geddes Farm,” Located at Fairmount, three miles west of Syracuse N.Y., is offered FOR SALE at a low price, and on terms to suit purchaser. Or, if not sold at once, will be rented to desirable party for a term of years. This noted farm consists… Read More For sale, 1904
It appears that the Athens, Georgia-based group Fairmount Fair has broken up (yes, they’re named after that Fairmount Fair), but you can still hear some of their demos on Myspace. To some Fairmount Fair is a band based in Athens GA that makes experimental hip-hop songs and short films, often addressing issues of the pains… Read More Fairmount Fair: the band
Source: Report of the State Commissioner of Health, 1918 [The Semet-Solvay company was manufacturing explosives at Split Rock during this time. Geddes Brook flows from south of Split Rock, through Fairmount, and meets Nine Mile Creek shortly above Onondaga Lake.] The wastes from the plant consist of the sanitary sewage from the toilets and a… Read More Sanitary condition of Geddes Brook, 1917
Source: Monthly Weather Review, September 1897 OLD WEATHER RECORDS. In the Transactions of the New York State Agricultural Society for the year 1859 there is published an elaborate report by the Hon. George Geddes of Fairmount on the history, geology, climate and agriculture of Onondaga County. In this Report at page 296, Mr. Geddes states,… Read More The coldest day, 1855
Sources: Central New York Genealogy and History; Vincent Falcone; Syracuse Post-Standard, October 5, 1956 Andy’s Inn was a nightclub and restaurant located at the corner of Mackay Avenue and West Genesee Street (currently occupied by former HSBC drive-in), active from 1929 to at least 1959. This club later became known as the Coda during the… Read More Andy’s Inn, 1956